I’ve tried many gingerbread recipes, and this is my standby – moist, light, simple and classic. Adapted from Instant Gratification, by Lauren Chattman.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray 8″x8″ baking pan.
- Heat water to boiling on stovetop or microwave. Add molasses and baking soda; set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon. Use fork or whisk to mix dry ingredients together.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, oil and egg until well combined.
- Add 1/3 of molasses mixture. Mix well.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture. Mix well.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until ingredients are fully incorporated. Mix a little extra for good measure (helps keep gingerbread from falling in the center).
- Pour batter in prepared baking pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 15 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures: Gingerbread cake.