Egg, cheese and sausage strata (breakfast casserole)
Easier than a quiche or frittata, this make-ahead dish frees you up to enjoy visiting with brunch guests. Adjust the strata fillings for whatever ingredients you have on hand.
- 6 eggs
- 2 slices bread, cubed (can use more for thicker casserole; this amount will give you a more custardy texture)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound sausage (3/4 lb is also plenty)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Saute sausage until well browned, breaking up meat with spoon.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with salt, pepper and ground mustard.
- Add milk; mix well.
- Butter 2-quart baking dish.
- Add bread cubes evenly in baking dish.
- Sprinkle sausage over bread cubes.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over sausage.
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Poke down any floating bread cubes to make sure egg mixture gets absorbed.
- Cover baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove strata from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake strata for 50-60 minutes, until browned on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 4-6 adults.
- Recipe doubles easily for baking in 4-qt dish.
- Like quiche and frittata, this egg dish takes well to all kinds of meat or vegetable fillings, so feel free to get creative. The important thing is to make sure vegetables are cooked/sauteed first, and that any meat that requires precooking, eg bacon or sausage, is browned and drained first.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.